The rains are here and so are the troublesome mosquitos to suck the blood out of you. Also let’s not forget mosquitos are real culprits behind the spread of various diseases like malaria, dengue etc.
It’s easy to buy a mosquito repellent from a store and no doubt they are effective too, but ever wondered how much does your skin then get exposed to those harmful chemicals! So why not make an organic mosquito repellent at home which will save you from mosquito and smell far better than the one bought from store?
Listed below are seven easy homemade mosquito repellents’ options which will protect you from mosquito and any other small insects:
1. Tea Tree & Geranium mosquito repellent
• 30 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
• 10 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
• 1 tablespoon of Vegetable Glycerine
Directions: mix all three ingredients in a spray bottle and add distilled water to it, now it’s ready for you to use.
Tea tree and geranium oil not only help to keep mosquitos away, but it also has some additional anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antimicrobial properties to it.
2. Five essential oils mosquito repellent
•30 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
•30 drops of Citronella Essential Oil
•20 drops of Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil
•20 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
•10 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
Directions: blend all these five essential oils and add ½ cup of witch hazel, ½ cup of water or vinegar, one teaspoon of vegetable glycerin and one tablespoon of Vodka or Rubbing Alcohol. Shake everything well and store it in a glass spray bottle. Shake well before use.
3. Castor, Rosemary, Lemongrass & Geranium mosquito repellent
• 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of Water
• 1 teaspoon of Castor Oil
• 8 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
• 8 drops of Lemongrass Essential Oil
• 4 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
Directions: mix all the five ingredients in a spray bottle and use directly over the exposed skin. Remember to shake well prior to every usage.
4. Cocoa Butter & Coconut mosquito repellent
• 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of Cocoa Butter
• 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of Beeswax Pastilles
• 1/4 cup of Coconut Oil
• 2 tablespoons of Castor Oil
Directions: take all these 4 ingredients in a sauce pan and melt on the gas. Once everything is well combined and melted, remove from the gas and let it cool. Once it has cooled down, you need to add 15 drops of lemongrass, citronella, and eucalyptus essential oils. You also need to add 5 drops of geranium and peppermint essential oils. Once you have mixed all these oils to the melted mixture, take a glass or tin jar and let it rest for 30 minutes. Allow it to solidify, and once it solidifies, you are ready to use the mosquito repellent balm.It’s advised not to apply the balm on kids below two years of age.
5. Lavender & Vanilla mosquito repellent
• mosquito repellent 15 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
• 3-4 tablespoons of Vanilla Extract
• 3-4 tablespoons of Lemon Juice
Directions: combine these three ingredients to add distilled water in the spray bottle, and you are good to go! Possibly, this will be the most aromatic and lovely smelling mosquito repellent.
6. Lemon Eucalyptus mosquito repellent
• One table spoon lemon eucalyptus oil
• Ten table spoon witch hazel or sunflower oil
Directions: mix both the ingredients and store it in a spray bottle. Spray directly on the exposed area.
7. Organic neem oil mosquito Repellent
• 5 ml Neem Oil
• 2 ml liquid soap (organic)
• 1 Litre Distilled Water
Directions: pour distilled water into the spray bottle. Add Neem Oil and liquid soap to it. Shake the prepared liquid, then apply it directly to the exposed skin
So, what are you waiting for? Go and make these easy homemade mosquito repellent to permanently solve your mosquito woes.
Image Source – Google Images