In the race of aping the western culture we have completely forgotten what treasures we have and one of them being Yoga – an art of meditation, relaxation, and body exercise.
Yoga was developed over 5000 years ago in the Indus-Sarasvati Civilization located in the Northern parts of India it is one of the most ancient forms of mystic and human development practice. The word yoga was mentioned in the some of the oldest sacred texts of Rig Veda.
Various people practice with various aims some are strongly influenced by the Spiritual Element of yoga whereas, some practice for fitness and Flexibility that it helps to achieve and some practice with the aim to find solutions towards various Health Disorders and to stay calm, fit and have stress free mind.
The short-term and long-term benefits of practicing yoga:
- Yoga’s first and foremost benefit being it helps to build in lot of flexibility. You probably might not be able to touch your toes in first session but with gradual practice it increases the flexibility of the body.
- Yoga helps to build strong muscle further protects you from suffering of arthritis and back pain. When you build strength through yoga it is balanced using flexibility but whereas at gym you build strength at the expense on flexibility.
- Every time you practice yoga it takes your joints through full range of motion. This helps preventing you from degenerative arthritis or mitigates disorder. Joint cartilage is like a sponge which gets fresh nutrients once the fluid is squeezed out and new supply is soaked up.
It helps to keep the spines in place and getting them their nutrients when the vertebrate can herniate and compress nerves which could only be possible by performing lots of twists, forward bends, and backbends.
- Yoga truly helps to keep the blood flow going especially the relaxation exercises improve the blood circulation in your hands and feet. It also helps to pump more oxygen to the cells leading to its better functioning. Yoga also helps to revitalize the levels of red blood cells and haemoglobin which transports oxygen to the tissues. It thins the blood by making platelets less adherent and by cutting down the level of clot encouraging proteins in the blood. It helps to decrease the risk of heart attacks and strokes which are often caused due to blood clots.
- The process of contraction and stretching of muscles while practicing yoga helps to increase the drainage of lymph. Which helps to fight various infection, destroy cancerous cells, and dispose of the toxic waste products of cellular functioning.
- British medical journal The Lancet witnessed 26-point drop in systolic blood pressure and 15-point drop in diastolic blood pressure. So yoga can be the go to exercise for all those people suffering from low blood pressure issues and are seeking to maintain a balance over it.
Yoga also helps to lower blood sugar and LDL cholesterol and boosts HDL cholesterol. It helps diabetics’ patients by lowering adrenaline levels and cortisol.
- It’s been observed with the people practicing to have improved with memory, IQ, coordination and reaction time. It also helps people to solve problems in better way and acquire and recall information.
- Yoga in true sense is antinode towards multiple problems like anger, fear, frustration, regret and desire which leads to stress. If one wants to be at the peace of mind and keep away from all of these problems yoga is the medicine towards all of it.
Though, the process of getting into practicing yoga may not look appealing and fancy enough as compared to the idea of hitting the modern-day gym. But the results shown by practicing yoga cannot be in true beaten by the modern-day gym.
Image Source – Google Images